BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND FOR THE 6TH TIME
We are now ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED AND EXCITED to let you know that …….
THE ENIGMA BALL #6 IS NOW CONFIRMED AS SATURDAY 30TH NOVEMBER 2013.
And what a fantastic venue this is! Totally private and secure with extensive car parking space, you will drive through the Safari Park at night to reach the lodge but please do not get out of your cars en route up the drive (the animals do not like ballgowns, or even Enigma Ballers, for dinner!).
So, for the Transgender Community (AND ‘Friends with open minds’!) all systems are now go for the Ball Of The Year:
- Tickets are now on sale at £40 per ticket, and this includes a welcome drink on arrival and finger buffet (food has been unavailable at previous events but this time we are able to include food and keep the total price at a reasonable level). There is a pay-bar at the event.
- Woburn Park Safari Lodge, Woburn Village, MK17 9QN, from 7.30pm to Midnight on Saturday 30th November.
- As on previous occasions ballgowns and cocktail dresses are ALWAYS welcome at Enigma Balls. But this time why not go as wild as you dare in the way you interpret the Brief?! You are allowed to overdose on glamour, the more stunning the better, so ‘just go for it’!
- Once again we have rebooked our resident live band. They are a 9-Piece Swing band who get better every time and fill the dance floor all night – this is also the highlight of their year!
- Pink Punters Nightclub in Bletchley (7 miles away) have again offered their full support for the 6th time and will again be offering FREE ENTRY to the club after the ball (saving you £8 entry fee) for all Enigma-Ballers. Those who went to Pinks last time will also remember the fast-track entry which saved a lot of time (especially on a cold winter’s night!) and added a touch of welcome glamour and hospitality as we waltzed past the others queueing to get in!
- We are still to conclude details about the use of the Pink Punters Rainbow Shuttle Double-Decker to and from the ball and I think there is only likely to be one trip this time – further details will be available in due course. However, Skyline Taxis of MK (01908 222111) provide a very reasonable service, especially if you share the ride and cost, and it is recommended that taxis are reserved to and from the venue if you plan to stay in a local hotel and not drive yourself.
- If you do plan to stay in a local hotel please book direct (we cannot book hotels for you).
The feedback from previous balls has always been very positive and over 25% of the tickets are already sold so please come back to us ASAP to avoid missing out. The Enigma Ball is fixed firmly on the Transgender Social Calendar, and the highlight for many people in their year, and we know that we will receive lots of early bookings to secure tickets.
So please come back to me as soon as you’ve checked your diary, as I would hate to disappoint you if you leave it too late for tickets!”
Now a firm fixture in the Transgender Social Calendar, the Enigma Ball has proven to be a highlight night in quite a few lives. Thanks for the feedback from those who claimed it was ‘a life-changing experience’, we’re delighted to have helped you on your journey of celebration. Old friends meet and make new friends while for some, it is their first-ever outing ‘en femme’ (without and in quite a few cases, with their partners!!) – and what an atmosphere as a first outing?!
In today’s age of ‘smart but casual’ this is an evening when being overdressed was not an issue!
Thanks to our resident live 9-Piece Swing Band, with 3 brilliant sets from old to new classics, the dance floor will be full all evening.
In this world of social media the best possible awareness will come from positive ‘word of mouth’ so please tell your friends about this so that we can grow our Enigma Family.
Best wishes and I hope to hear back from you very soon for further details about ticket availability and payment.
xxRead more »
The initial idea behind THE ENIGMA BALL was very simple. After many years away from the UK Transgender Social Scene, I came back out looking for a stylish, fun, social event where the atmosphere was welcoming and sophisticated. I wanted to find like-minded people who just wanted to spend an evening together in excellent surroundings and wear their most glamorous clothes.
Unfortunately I was too young to have had the opportunity to attend the famous Porchester Balls in London. But I AM old enough to remember the brilliant monthly ‘Ron Storme’s Balls’ (God rest your soul, Ron!) at Tudor Lodge, Bromley-By-Bow, where everyone was smiling ALL NIGHT!
And I still fondly remember the ‘family’ we created every month, sitting with Annie & John (our ‘mum and dad’), Jill (my eldest ‘sister’) and Michele (Jill’s wife!), Alison (my middle ‘sister’) and Mary (now Alison’s wife!) – I was the baby sister who endured the butt of many jokes whilst I like to think ‘holding my own’!!! Thank you Stella for complimenting my black linen suit the first time we ever met – you ARE a star! We are all still very close friends and will remain so for ever (I’m sure Annie even still looks down on us from above and smiles at what we get up to!). Both Janett Scott and Jenny Baker went on to become beacons in the Transgender World at The Beaumont Society and Manchester’s Northern Concord respectively – thanks and well done to both of you!
At the time, a highlight for me was when we helped out as waitresses for the Old-Age Pensioners Christmas Dinner at the Tudor Lodge – happy days!
We also had the stylish Sunday nights on the rooftop terrace of The Kensington Palace Hotel, where peacocks (literally!) roamed freely amongst the guests. The Philbeach was another frequent haunt (with Jimmy the barman and excellent food) that offered nights out (sadly now closed down). I also saw the launch of The Way Out Club in the Piano Bar, Kingly Street behind Carnaby Street, and knew Vicky Lee and Stefan (again, sadly taken at too young an age) in ‘the early days’. AND NOT FORGETTING THE MONTHLY KINKY GERLINKY AT THE EMPIRE BALLROOM LEICESTER SQUARE!!!!!
Lots of fond memories that I struggled to re-find when I was looking again. This is what I thought was lacking for today’s generation of Cross-Dressers (and ‘friends with open minds’!). In an age of ‘smart but casual’ I found that I was over-dressed and stood out for all the wrong reasons!
Thankfully I DID find Pink Punters Nightclub in Bletchley, and a new ‘family’ – arguably THE pre-eminent entertainment venue for the Transgender Community IN THE UK today!
So…. what to do?!
If I couldn’t find anywhere to go (other than Pinks) I just had to organise something on my own! The proximity to the stunning Bletchley Park Mansion and Ballroom was too good an opportunity not to seek out ……. and THE ENIGMA BALL was born!
I now know how Kevin Costner felt in ‘The Field Of Dreams’ when he was told “Build it and they WILL come!”. Thankfully I have had the support of amazing friends (you know who you are) who also believe that the Enigma Ball is a good idea and A BIG THANK YOU must go to everyone at Pinks for all their help and support in putting the Balls together over the past 3 years – I could NOT have done this without you.
The positive feedback from those who have now attended 5 Balls so far has made it all worthwhile. When people tell me that they have had ‘the best night of their lives’, and it has been ‘life-changing’, then I’m happy!
I want to give others the chance to experience the feeling I had at all the places I had been ‘in my youth’. I felt elated for days, weeks, months afterwards and have been lucky to meet so many fantastic life-long friends on my travels.
The Enigma Ball will continue as long as everyone continues to have an evening to remember for a long time! The standard of dressing, makeup and hair gets better and better and the best comment I have received so far was:
“Look around tonight, this is not what you would call your average transvestite/ cross-dresser. This is a superb atmosphere of stunning individuals in a fantastic venue where everyone has done their best to look uber-glam, and achieved it! It is the night of the year for some, the night of their lives for others!”
Big hugs to all who have attended for making the Enigma Balls such wonderful events.
xxRead more »